rowan-and-rowan-logo
navicon
  HOME
navicon
  ANTIQUE RINGS
navicon
  ANTIQUE BROOCHES
navicon
  ANTIQUE NECKLACES
navicon
  ANTIQUE BRACELETS
navicon
  ANTIQUE EARRINGS
navicon
  HISTORICAL JEWELLERY
navicon
  PHOTO GALLERY
navicon japanesenavUP
navicon
  TERMS OF BUSINESS

appstore

Ref PA2   H.G. Murphy Skyscraper Ring

A rare H.G. Murphy Art Deco skyscraper ring, circa 1930. The British designer Henry George Murphy [1884 - 1939], holds a repuation as being one of the leading  jewellers and silversmiths of the early 20th century. He was apprenticed to Henry Wilson in 1899 and later taught at the Royal College of Art and the Central School of Arts and Crafts. In 1928 Murphy opened his own workshop, the Falcon Studio, its name derived from his wife Jess, referring to the 'jess' or leather strap fastened around the leg of a hawk in falconry. From 1928 to 1939 he worked in the Falcon Studio creating stylish silverware and some truly startling gold, silver and enamel jewellery, inspired by nature, architecture and the vibrancy of the Jazz Age. This H.G. Murphy ring, reminiscent of the Chrysler building, is 18 carat gold, set with an old-cut diamond and an emerald, with black enamel ornamentation. It is signed to reverse HGM. The ring is size N [US 6 and 1/2] and can be sized and the head of the ring is 2/3 of an inch tall and 1/2 an inch wide. It is illustrated on page 47 of Atterbury and Benjamin's The Jewellery and Silver of HG Murphy and there are examples of Murphy's work in the Victoria and Albert Museum.

£4500




murphy
henry1

hm2

hm3

hm4

hm8

hm5

150px-HenryGeorgeMurphy02a
H.G. Murphy

hm6

< back to rings